Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Kris Allen: The Ultimate Interview, part one

"American Idol" winner Kris Allen sat down with writer Fred Bronson for an in-depth interview. In Part 1 of this four-part interview, Allen talks about his first musical influences and early musical ambitions.

Season 8 “American Idol” winner Kris Allen was born June 21, 1985, to Neil and Kimberly Allen in Jacksonville, Arkansas

LAT: Anyone who watched this season of “American Idol” had good reason to think you grew up in Conway, but that’s not true, right?

KA: I lived in Jacksonville for most of my life. My high school was in The Rock, but I lived in Jacksonville forever until college, and then I moved to Conway.

LAT: What is your earliest memory of music?

KA: Music was always in the house. My dad was a musician. He played guitar and was in a band. The earliest memory I have is somewhere around 6, 7 or 8 years old, listening to a Michael Jackson record. I think it was “Dangerous.” Just sitting in my room by myself dancing and singing and having hats on and trying to do the moonwalk in front of the mirror but it’s not working. Then my dad would walk in. Everything would stop. He would catch me, and he thought it was hilarious. So thank you, Michael Jackson.

LAT: What kind of record collection did your parents have?

KA: My dad had a lot of CDs. I remember having tapes. I didn’t even own the “Dangerous” CD; it was the tape.

LAT: Did you listen to your parents’ music?

KA: As a kid, I would listen to a lot of the music my parents owned. They were into country then, so a lot of Garth Brooks. I think my first concert was Reba McEntire. And my parents listened to old rock bands like Journey and Queen and Foreigner. I grew up loving Journey. I’m a big huge fan.

Read the rest of The Ultimate Interview, Part One

No comments:

Post a Comment