Friday, August 7, 2009

'American Idol' Kris Allen plays Nassau Coliseum - Interview

Since Kris Allen's victory on "American Idol," the laid-back 24-year-old singer-songwriter from Conway, Ark., has been working nonstop, moving back and forth from the "American Idols Live" tour to working on his debut album.

"It's tough," says Allen, calling from a tour stop in Washington, D.C. "It's almost like you have to switch your brain over to the other side. It's a whole different animal. Touring is a whole different mind-set from recording."

Newsday: Is touring what you thought it would be?

KA: It's probably a little more work than I thought it would be, but other than that, the traveling is great. We're having a blast.

Newsday: Can you talk about who you're working with on the album and what it will sound like?

KA: I think I'm going to keep that under wraps for now. We are working hard with some artists, some pretty big writers in L.A. and we're getting in some songs as well. We've got some pretty good stuff so far. . . . I would say it's in the pop-rock genre - that genre is huge, but somewhere in there, with something a little bit different that I think people will like.

Newsday: There was some controversy about you not singing "No Boundaries" in the set anymore. What happened?

KA: We had it in there and the tour director came up to me with some other people and were like, "What if we put something a little bit more energetic in place of it?" I was like, "OK, let's see what we've got," and I came up with the idea of doing the Killers' song "All These Things That I've Done" and we just kind of ran with it. It was kind of a boost in my set.

Newsday: So how do you feel about the song [co-written by "Idol" judge Kara DioGuardi]?

KA: Um, no comment. I think it's a really good song.

Newsday: Have you had any surprises on the tour?

KA: I think the fans are a little bit crazier than I thought they were going to be. They like to touch you and sometimes in ways that maybe they shouldn't .

Source: Newsday

No comments:

Post a Comment